The history of ceres
the first families
In 1903, Clinton N. Whitmore, the son of Daniel Whitmore, built a 15-room home a few blocks north of his father's original home. Pictured at the top of this page, the Whitmore Mansion remained under the ownership of Whitmore descendants until 2005, when it was privately sold and restored by Cary and Nancy Pope.
In 2013, the City of Ceres purchased the Whitmore Mansion from the Popes' and established the Whitmore Mansion Foundation, which is charged with the task of managing the Mansion as a historical landmark and visitor's stopping ground.